Re: Happy Everything!

Wow! Sanity and wisdom. Of course this is exactly the correct answer. Any Christian who would be offended by a Jewish wish for a happy Hanukkah needs to re-examine the tenets of their own faith. I am a Christian and welcome any good wishes that come my way. Interestingly, my museum has a “Christmas Candlelight Tour,” which is a home tour, that also includes 4 local museums, several businesses, 2 churches and 3 B&Bs. And the same day our ladies auxiliary conducts a “Christmas boutique.” It requires someone onsite who can think on their feet and “put out fires” that arise during the day. Two of our most able volunteers came to me and said that they’d taken vacation days for that Sunday and were planning to be at the museum early so that I could go to church. This is significant not only because of their thoughtfulness but also because both volunteers consider themselves witches. When these two wish me a “Happy Winter Solstice,” I will be honored! And they will not be offended by my wish for them to have a “Merry Christmas.” Ummm…isn’t cultural and religious tolerance rather than homogenization what we’re aiming for?

Becky Fitzgerald

Susquehanna Museum

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sasha Carrera
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Happy Everything!

I thought the point was that we might not all be celebrating Christmas...right? Isn’t it an effort to include those who might be celebrating Festivus--among other things—and to be respectful of everyone’s faiths while wishing them well? I guess those who celebrate Kwanzaa could wish everyone Happy Kwanzaa—maybe it wouldn’t actually ruffle feathers if we all wished each other whatever our holiday is, regardless of what theirs is...I just fear some Christians might be offended by being wished a Happy Hanukkah. I wouldn’t be, but others might. Is that true?