maybe i am missing something here. if an intern is looking to a long term career in a museum environment? wouldn't they or better shouldn't they know - if not from upbringing - at minimum from professional association - how to dress appropriately?

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Christa Weinberger
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 9:11 PM
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] intern dress question

Melissa,
Where I work we do require that the interns dress professionally because we have such a small staff, interns are often in contact with visitors, board members and prominent members of the community.  Of course we allow them to dress more casual on days where we are going to moving around in the storage areas and taking down exhibits.  I find that having interns dress professionally makes them understand that this is a job and they must take it seriously.

That's just my two cents.

Christa Weinberger
Registrar
Marietta Museum of History