After having read everyone's thoughts on the debate over intern dress code, I would like to add my own insight. Having recently been in the position of "lowly intern" just a few months ago, I cannot help but bring up something that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

If asked to wear a polo shirt and khakis for an internship, I would be quite insulted. Hopefully, the museum would have some form of "weeding-out" of inappropriate candidates for the internship, and those who would wear revealing and inappropriate clothing wouldn't make it to the final cut. Additionally, when I think of uniforms, I think of McDonalds and TGIFridays. If your curators and educators are wearing logo polo shirts, then by all means, have your interns do the same. But as so many of you have already stated, if you are attempting to foster professional development, you need to treat your interns like young professionals. If you don't trust your interns to dress professionally on their own, perhaps you should rethink your screening process for applicants.

To respond to the concern of financial strain, I will go out on a limb here and suggest that all young museum professionals-to-be should own some dressy, non-denim, unripped clothing. When you interview a candidate for employment, don't you expect them to be dressed professionally? For many interns, having some nice clothing will only give them a leg up when the employment search begins.

Kathleen Kelly
Chicago, IL