As a recent college graduate pursuing a career in museums, I would like to offer my two cents.  I have been in several museum internships, and my dress has never been questioned. I usually dressed casually, but conservatively, in slacks, sweaters or shirts for work.  I agree with those who think that it is entirely appropriate to request interns to dress to a certain level.  I currently work in an office environment, and business casual is the norm.  I understand that in certain museum positions, casual - ie. comfortable and appropriate clothing is necessary for the work at hand, such as collections care or conservation. I do not believe though that these conditions  preclude work appropriate or clean and tidy clothing.

As someone who is making a low salary, and paying my own health insurance costs, I am still able to afford to buy appropriate attire for work. Granted, it is not a lot, nor is it the most expensive clothing that is out there.  I do not think this is a question of socio-economics, rather a question of personal spending.  If students/interns have the resources to buy iPods and 'trendy' clothing, it is certainly possible to instead spend some of that money on work appropriate clothing.  It is not a question of fashion and expensive outfits, but of being appropriate for the work environment.  I also think it is extremely unfortunate that we are forced into this discussion.

If money for clothing is a concern for unpaid internships, I think it may be appropriate to designate a small stipend, such as $50, to defray  the cost of two pairs of slacks and a few shirts.  Or, perhaps a uniform of khaki or black pants and a blue or white shirt.  Many public schools have uniformed dress codes such as a choice of khakis/black pants and a white collared shirt, and students, regardless of socio-economic background, are expected to adhere to these rules.  Casual and inappropriate dress can be distracting in the school enviornment, is this not true in the work enviornment?

However, if it is an unpaid internship, I think we are all joking ourselves if we believe  that those who are economically able to be in an unpaid position are individuals who would be at the same time unable to buy 2 pairs of pants and a few shirts on sale at Marshalls, TJ Maxx,  Ross, Target etc. Furthermore, if you were interviewing interns in person, you would already have made judgments about them based on their manner of dress. At what point do we throw professionalism out the window in favor of being politically correct?

JKS