I don't know where the term "peculiar institution" originated.  Perhaps
that can be ascertained by reading the following book, available through
Amazon:

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0679723072/ref=sib_dp_pop_cr//exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679723072/ref=sib_rdr_dp/002-9604468-5352809?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books>Peculiar
Institution : Slavery in the Ante-Bellum South (Vintage)
by
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0679723072/ref=sib_dp_pop_cr//exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Kenneth%20M.%20Stampp/002-9604468-5352809>Kenneth
M. Stampp
ISBN:  0-679-72307-2

At 12:11 PM 11/17/2005, you wrote:
>I've got a couple of questions on related notes:
>
>First, can anybody point me towards scholarship around the issue of coded
>slave songs?  All of my knowledge is based on the popular understanding of
>such songs and I am interested in learning a little more about the formal
>studies thereof.
>
>And secondly, does anyone know off-hand the origin of the well-used term
>"peculiar institution" to refer to American slavery?  I've seen one source
>that credited that to Thomas Jefferson, but a quick search didn't turn up
>anything concrete.  It may be that it didn't originate from any one person
>or writing, but it strikes me as something that certainly could have.
>
>Thank you so much,
>
>--Eric
>
>Eric D. M. Johnson
>Proprietor
>The Village Factsmith Historical Research & Consulting
>http://www.factsmith.com/
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol Ely" <[log in to unmask]>

Denise Lajetta, MA
Associate Curator

Kluge-Ruhe Collection of Aboriginal Art, UVA
400 Worrell Drive (PANTOPS)
Charlottesville, VA  22911

tel.  434.244.0234
fax  434.244.0235