Message
I derived my instruction sheet from Sara J. Wolf's Padded Hanger instructions as published in Storage of Natural History Collections: Ideas and Practical Solutions, edited by Carolyn Rose and Amparo de Torres, 1995. There is also another design for hangers in that book by Mei Wan Campbell for squarish costumes, like Mexican and Central American indigeous dress that doesn't hang well on a shoulder-shaped hanger. Everybody has a different way of making these, so this is just one version.

I included a materials list of what I included (10 hangers, 20 squares of batting 10" x 18", 10 squares of muslin 16" x 22"). I had my volunteers supply white poly/cotton thread. These measurements were based off of the hangers I was using for the project at the time. I used to have my volunteers wash the muslin at home, but I would do it now before giving it to them. Also, vacuum the hangers before you put the garments on them - might as well start with a clean slate.

I drew some simple line drawings to go with the instructions.

1. Use two squares of batting per hanger. Make a small hole in the middle top edge of one square of batting and push the hook of the hanger thorugh this hole. Fold the two corners down to cover the hanger as shown in the illustration.

2. Repeat with the second square of batting, wrapping it around the hanger in the opposite direction of the first piece.

3. Baste closed the openings in the outer layer of batting.

4. Use one square of muslin per hanger. Place the hanger on the muslin square as shown (basically, the bottom of the hanger rests on the center line of the muslin square with the hook lying across the center of one of the long edges), with the base of the hanger at the middle of the piece of muslin. Pull the muslin thightly over the hanger and its batting layer.

5. Fold under the raw edges, pin in place, and sew closed.

It helps to have the images, obviously. The main point - close up all your seams and take care of the raw edges.
Best,
Becky Fifield

Rebecca L. Fifield
Assistant Collections Manager