The Historic Upshur Museum in Gilmer, Texas, joined a lot of other museum in having a special commemoration on 9/11/2002. In their case, they had a flag raising just before the beginning of the local work day corresponding to the time the towers where hit. All the local and county first responders were invited and many attended. There was also a display of student art done by the local high school students as their reaction to the events. The art was on display all day, and a commemorative book was available for people to register their thoughts.

You also want to investigate the display done at the 6th Floor Museum in Dallas, Texas. They observed how cities responded to tragedies in their presence and combined Dallas, Memphis, Los Angeles, Pearl Harbor, Oklahoma City and Buffalo, New York. The display went up about two months after 9/11 and was very powerful.

Mary L. Kirby

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">artgeek
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 11:44 AM
Subject: Museum responses to tragedies, national and local

Hello, Listers.

  As part of a research project, I'm interested in what museums and other cultural organizations have done to respond to or commemorate national tragedies (eg, September 11th terrorist attacks, Hurricane Katrina) or local ones. Has your institution or one you're aware of designed or hosted an exhibit, created programs or done something else to reach out to your community during hard times?

  Right now, I've only narrowed the field based on these qualifications:
      - Limited to US museums
      - Limited to events occurring in the past 15 years, though I'm also interested in later events as a basis of comparison

  Any materials or information you could provide would be appreciated. I welcome responses on or off list.

Cheers / Angélique Weger

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.