I can’t remember if it was the AAM or CAM that asked museums to do 911 commemorative exhibitions/activities in 2002, but we did one. Our gallery is ONLY the work of Corita Kent, so our exhibition became a celebration of Democracy, the indomitable American Spirit and freedom of speech using her images and words that exemplify these ideas: Thoreau, the Berrigan Brothers, Cesar Chavez, Martin Luther King, Jr. and additional images with texts by Camus, Sargent Shriver, George McGovern and other political writers. We interspersed these images with the flag series Corita made in 1976 in honor of the bicentennial. There was someone at Cedars-Sinai who heard we were participating in this nation/state? wide 911 commemoration and they asked to partner with us. They have an art-outreach program in which children had painted their responses to 911. So our gallery was 1/2 Corita images and 1/2 children’s mounted paintings of the 911 tragedy. It was interesting, but not especially well attended.
Hope this is helpful.

Sasha Carrera
Corita Art Center