Hello,

    I am currently pursuing an MLS in Library Science. I have nearly an MA in Anthropology too and have worked in archeology, museums and libraries. This explains the background interest for my request for imput from all of you most intelligent professionals on these list-servs? I am interested in putting together a list of the most helpful literature sources to use as a "First Response to Disaster Source List" for small museums and libraries. I worked in a tsunami zone as a Curator of a small historical museum and we did not have a Disaster Plan in place. Sometimes learning by default seems to be the worst case scenario. I have collected many website suggestions from members of these online communities.
    I have also heard of libraries (in Hawaii and Idaho with water damage) that have been impacted by natural disasters, not to mention the heartbreak of New Orleans and Florida area collection damage. This is where your experience may help. With a limited budget in mind, which literature resources would you recommend for the staff of a small museum or library to help aid in recovery or preservation of collection items (that may have been effected by water, fire and other unpredictable disasters) and why? Thank you so much for your time and trouble in answering this request. I would be happy to post it to all when my Final Project is done in early December 2005.

Most Gratefully,

Diane Rice
Library Assistant II & Program Coordinator
Star Library
10706 W. State St.
Star, Idaho
            83669