Ms. Lee Langston-Harrison;

I have extensive experience with historic structures and HVAC concerns and would be more than happy to share my point of view.  Feel free to give me a call at 434.847.1459.  I am the new Curator of Point of Honor in Lynchburg.

Gregory R. Krueger
Curator, Lynchburg Museum System

From: Lee Langston-Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: HVAC in historic homes
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:31:26 -0400

Hi all:

I know this subject comes up often, but I need a quick answer from staff
in historic houses (made of brick
and plaster) that deal with environmental conditions and their house as an
important “artifact.”  This goes to curators and conservators who
have (or are considering) HVAC systems.

What compromise do curators and conservators make with regards to
historic/original objects vs the house’s needs vs the public’s
comfort?

In houses that have HVAC systems, what are the “standards”
we should try to maintain?  What is too high a humidity?  Too low a humidity?

What is too high a temp? Too low a temp?

What is the acceptable rate of change?  How “flexible” can
your RH and temp be within your historic structure?

My historic house is undergoing a grand renovation, and we are
installing state of the art HVAC and environmental monitoring systems.  I am
concerned about the range of   So… I poise the age-old question, again.

Could you historic house folks or building experts weigh in here?

Thanks!

Ms. Lee
Langston-Harrison

Curator