Jay,

Check in Salt Lake City with the Chamber of Commerce and also with
the Vet Center up by the University of Utah off of Foot Hill Blvd.  I
was up there for a meeting on starting a business with VA help, and
there was a group who was involved with many veteran organizations.

You might also want to check out: http://www.vetfriends.com/organizations/directory.cfm?state=UT
which has some good resources and listings of Vet organizations.  Also, since you are
specific about art, and you may have done this * I would check with the UofU art programs,
the Art Center, and those other museums in town.  ;o)

I would also check with Salt Lake Community College, Westminster, BYU Salt Lake Center,
and others to see if Vets are in their art/degree programs.

In Spanish Fork, UT, there is also a great museum, and sure there are Vets who
are involved with art in that art community.

Another Vet site is: http://www.ut.ngb.army.mil/veterans/default.htm

Also, check with Utah National Guard Units, Hill Air Force Base *- they might have
artist they know, and the base likely has programs for personnel stationed there
involved in the arts.

If you need more help, I could contact my sister, an artist in SLC who might be able to
throw some more ideas into the hat.

Hope this helps.

John
Boise, ID
Vet: US Navy 1965-1969 (Active)
US Naval Reserve, 1971-1974
US Coast Guard 1974-1977 (Active)
US Coast Guard Reserves
Oregon Air National Guard
Oregon Army National Guard
US Army Reserves (Ready)

Greetings Museum-Lers,

     This is a shot in the dark, but I hope someone might be able to point
me in the right direction, especially those folks who are veterans of the US
military or working at a military museum.
     I seek information about professional visual artists -- individually or
a list (which would be awesome, if it exists) -- who are veterans of the
United States military who were involved in conflicts and peace-keeping
missions including/since Persian Gulf I (1990 to present).

     [By "professional visual artists," I mean those who earn income from
art-making as a primary means of support (excluding any military pension)
and/or who have participated in gallery/museum exhibitions.
     And so you know where I've looked already . . . Veterans of Foreign
Wars, American Legion, VSA, G.I. Bill regulations (multiple variants), and
will contact those who organize(d) the National Veterans Creative Arts
Festival.]

     Thank you in advance for any advice and/or insights.

Best wishes, sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Curator of Education
Salt Lake Art Center
20 South West Temple
Salt Lake City, UT  84101

T 801-328-4201 x 21
F 801-322-4323
W www.slartcenter.org

"I realized as I traveled across this nation
that I encountered three types of people.
People who make things happen;
people who watch things happen; and,
people who ask "what happened?"
[Mac Arthur Goodwin, NAEA President, 2001-2003]