Micki,

In regards to the intern's language barrier/issues (and also the hearing-impairment accommodation)...it sounds like you are on the right track with all addressing this. The journal is a great idea because the written communication will serve to enhance the verbal.

Part of what your intern is going through with the language issue -is the same nervousness and insecurity many new interns experience, but it is being expressed and is exhibited through the second language.

As for her insecurity with English - I had supervised a student in a similar situation. In that case, no one could really understand his English, because he also spoke very quietly and mumbled as a result of the insecurity. Turns out that his spoken English was fine!

First thing I had to do was to encourage him to speak more and to speak up. In order to do this of course, we engaged in regular conversations. Asking him questions, allowing him to respond, providing plenty of opportunity to contribute to and initiate conversation was very important.

For answering the telephone and responding to questions, providing interpretive info. etc., I had him shadow me when I was engaged in such. Then, I had him rehearse with me and even had him pick up the phone and practice with no one on the other end. Another time, I called him from another phone line and we did a 'dry run'.

It was also important that I let him speak without interrupting to correct him. Anything that I overheard that needed to be corrected -I talked with him afterward. Not soon after that, I made sure he had ever opportunity to provide information without me hovering nearby, and this encouraged him to ask questions and obtain confidence in working independently.

But there was more -I noticed that other students, volunteers and interns never or rarely spoke to or with him. Though I suspected the language barrier was the reason for this, none-the-less I asked the students why they never spoke to him. Asking them this - created the forum for discussion. Knowing what their response was going to be, I was prepared to offer suggestions. And, as I suspected, they told me it was because they couldn't understand him when he spoke.

I encouraged them to speak with him freely -as if they would speak with anyone else, and that they would help him greatly in doing so. (this last part really motivated the students!). By following my advice, they 'included' him in conversations and I watched his spoken English and confidence improve. Also to get the ball rolling - I had to be the group facilitator. When the students were sitting together at a table and working on their projects, I brought in my work (or came in to check on theirs) to join them and started discussions about work-related topics, academic issues, chit chat.

In order to meet project completion goals and encourage productivity, it was important that all the students and others work well as a team. So some of the students - I had to provide extra attention and training for whatever reason and for many, this was their first time working anyway. Inter and intra personal skills were a part of this. And overall, I needed to create and maintain a non-hostile work environment (including no peer pressure).

For the hearing impairment - it is important to address all potential accommodations. While I've been discussing the issues of students I supervised at one place I worked - at the same place my own supervisor was hearing-impaired and wore hearing aids.

One thing my supervisor told me was that even with hearing aids he could not pick up sound coming from behind him. And being able to follow and read lips and facial expression was very helpful to him too.

I also found out that at times when he could not hear me...intentionally because he turned down or off the volume on his hearing aids. I tried not to take that personally! And when he would be singing (like everyday) I sometimes wished I had the same option. lol I did grown accustomed to his voice.

Do you think there's a possibility that the manager has given the intern the title and charge of Curator because they feel sorry for the intern? If so, or even if that isn't the reason...I don't think it is inappropriate. I can only think of positive things attributed to this appointment. Not that your concerns aren't justifiable. All in all, she is just there 8 hours a week, the position is not full-time permanent and she is not getting salary and benefits comparable to yours.

I see where you are conflicted, especially as you point out the interns' lack of the proper educational and work background to even be considered for an appointment to the position of curator. And not be referred to in the title as an 'intern' - may bring about confusion to visitor's, volunteers and others... so I think that should be addressed.

I don't know what I could suggest to you about your resentment, regarding the work and time you committed as an unpaid intern. There's always going to be others who have had a 'lesser' experience/sacrifice and vice-versa. Museum work is, besides being competitive for those with the credentials still a field where one can obtain an (ahem) appointment.

For this part - ikes because of my own employment (barely) situation I have to refrain from saying or thinking too much about your situation. I want to be empathetic...um....there's a possibility that many of us may be even more qualified or have sacrificed even much more than you and we don't have jobs or permanent full-time jobs with bennies.

Guess I'm trying to say that your resentment is subjective so I really can't suggest, comment or otherwise in an objective manner because of that, and because of my own circumstances. All I can do is wish you well in working through that and encourage you to do so of course.

Pam