An even better URL on the history of pick-up sticks:

http://www.onelang.com/encyclopedia/index.php/Pick-up_Sticks
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Erin McGough
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 3:21 PM
Subject: identification of a household item

Hello

I am hoping someone can help identify the item I describe below. If necessary, I can send a picture. Thank you!

It is a fairly simple, long, dark wood box, measuring 24 1/4" x 4 7/8" x 3 7/8. The box has a cover that slides off and on; the wooden cover is beveled on two sides and one end is notched to form a handle. Inside there are 40 wooden sticks of various lengths, 20 1/4" - 23" long and about 3/8" thick. Each stick is tapered at each end. There is an inscription on the box indicating a date of about 1760. The item was given a number that associates a household use but I am afraid that knowledge of the use has been lost over the years.

Does it sound familiar to anyone?

Erin McGough

Registrar and Collections Manager

Concord Museum