Margaret

You will need to declare the items to Customs in the UK as a temporary import. If the museum that is borrowing your objects has engaged a art transport firm to manage the exhibition then they will probably handle this (but its worth checking).  If you are doing it entirely yourself then see UK Customs Notice 200:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_ShowContent&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_CL_000220

You may need an ATA carnet see UK Customs Notice 104:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_ShowContent&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_CL_000202

When the items are reimported to the US you may well need documentation from US customs to show that they were temporarily exported in order to prevent you being charged Import duty.  Check with US customs well before you leave.

If the items are over 50 years old you may need an export licence to export them from the UK at the end of the loan (see MLA website http://www.mla.gov.uk/action/cp/00exp.asp ).  This will be straightforward provided you have proof that the items have been imported into the UK within the last 50 years – if you have declared them on import then there will be a customs document to show this. (If the borrowing institution has an art transport company involved they will usually arrange the export licence).

In any case take a copy of the loan agreement with you and a list of the objects with values and photographs.  Also make sure you have a range of contact numbers (including mobile numbers) for the Borrowing institution.

Trevor Reynolds

Collections Registrar, English Heritage, Room 530, 23 Savile Row, London W1S 2ET, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7973 3482  Fax: +44 (0) 20 7973 3209