We¹ve started doing workshops that address standards that teachers have to
meet in their classrooms. They come to the gallery, learn an art lesson (not
even necessarily connected w/the gallery) we furnish them w/materials and
standards (art standards they¹re learning and the content standards for
their grade levels). They brainstorm ways in which to integrate the art
lesson into their curriculum (e.g. Mandalas where they focus on symmetry,
patterns, creating designs from details of objects found in room, color, use
of mediums--crayon and watercolor‹these are the art aspects. Then they think
about how to bring them into the classroom: mandalas can be used in a lesson
about poetry‹rhyme structure mirrors design patterns, or earth
science‹phases of moon or water cycles can be illustrated in mandalas, or
social studies with links to Native American sand painting, Gothic rose
windows, Tibetan mandalas or sand painting.)

Their homework is to create a lesson plan, try it in their classroom, revise
and share with the rest of the class. We meet once a month for 4 months,
teachers earn one salary point credit for full participation. There¹s a
different artist who teaches each class so even though it¹s not DIRECTLY
related to what we exhibit, it gets them into the gallery and hopefully
brings art to more students than would otherwise have it.

It¹s a very young program, so there¹s little follow up and no
grading‹essentially participants get whatever they put into it and that can
vary considerably. There are some examples on the website if you¹re
interested: www.corita.org (in education/professional development)

I would also be interested to hear what others are doing!

Sasha Carrera
Corita Art Center
323-466-2157 ext 21