Marielle,

Please take caution when using toxic chemicals (many bug killer sprays are,
and they often have an oily base) around collections and  surfaces where
collections are handled, etc. Also remember that fumes can  circulate through
ventilation ducts -which you seem to be aware of and have  concerns about. When you
see insect activity - it is best to identify the  species you are dealing
with, and find a non-toxic solution to eradicate/control  the problem.

If you can't identify the insect - bag it or place it in a container for
identification (if you have someone who could research this and/or an
etymologist to consult with). There are poison baits and traps that are less  harmful.,
etc., to nearby collections.

For small mammals - I use traps for mice, and for chipmunks...a method I
refer to as 'assisted suicide'. We're not supposed to use decon -because the
animal can die virtually anywhere and is left to decompose there. I also shy
away from it because were the poisoned animal to become prey to a fox or  cat,
etc., that animal may become poisoned too.

But I take a bucket of water and lean a slim slab of wood against the  bucket
with -usually peanutbutter on the top. They walk up to the top for the  bait
and flip over into the bucket of water and drown.

So there are methods such as these that can be used to eradicate/control
pests.

For cleaning solutions - non-toxic cleaners are best and, again, try to  stay
away from sprays/propellants. In the museum where I work...well my
supervisor buys our cleaning supplies from the dollar store! But, for specific  object
cleaning (non-invasive) I look for cleaning supplies in supply catalogs,  such
as Gaylord and even then, I research them the best I can. Even though the
museum I work in is 'rustic', I still try to use proper methods for cleaning,
etc.

Your #1 cleaning tool - especially for the new facility, will be  a good
vacuum w/a HEPA filter. Vacuuming will greatly reduce your need to  use cleaning
solutions. And, I don't know how often you wash/bluff the floors or  what kind
of flooring is in the new facility - of course never use a broom  or anything
that may propel dust/dirt in the air. But mopping also  moves quite a bit of
dirt around. You're better off to vacuum often and 'spot  clean' the floor.

If you are concerned about ammonia-based cleaners - like for the bathroom
and offices...a squirt bottle with vinegar and water should be ok. Windows - you
 can even vacuum or dust with an anti-static dust cloth...there are some that
are  great and commonly sold  - like the 'Cape Cod' brand  - no need to
polish furniture either...everything sticks to that cloth and they are
washable/reusable.

All I can think of off the top of my head. And of course you are not being
supersensitive. Cleaning is an important component of  collections care
management. Sometimes people ignore this - just because they  don't want to be the
ones having to clean! But if this is your responsibility  (or one that you have
taken on - as often can be the case) then you are right to  research and to
advocate for the proper methods, etc.

I know it can start to feel like you're just being OCD, so all I can say
about that is to try not to think in terms about being 'sensitive', but rather
in terms of collections care management. I have had people get upset with me
when I ask them to not throw/leave food wrappers around - or opened soda
cans...I have found M&M's on the floor in a collections storage room in  another
museum I worked at.

It is important to make people aware that this is a collection's management
care policy -and that you're not just nagging. After all it is people and
their  habits that cause much of what we end up having to clean and why we deal
with  pest control.

Pam

In a message dated 9/22/2005 12:13:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,