I run the volunteer and Docent program at Sun 'n Fun and Florida Air
Museum. My experience with volunteers working with children has been
through our tours and the education program. So far it has worked very
well but we are just getting started with involving our Docent in the
outreach program in our local schools. Our Education Director Robin
Hutchinson has really worked with volunteer educators and our Docents to
put together some wonderful programs. We have our Destination Aviation
camps, Space camp and out reach programs that have really done well. My
only problem I have is the lack of volunteers I am really looking for
year round help in all areas. I am hoping to start a mentoring program
for our Docents through the local colleges and High Schools. I have only
been the Volunteer coordinator less then six months so we will see how
the future goes! If you would like to contact Robin Hutchinson regarding
the experiences with volunteers in the education department her email
address is [log in to unmask] Please let me know if I can be of
any further assistance. Robin McFarland