FYI: I would be leery about auctioning a de-accessioned object or other item on e-bay using an anonymous/individual account for a number of reasons, that boil down to the appearance of being deceitful/evasive (especially for tax/accounting documentation).

e-bay rules prohibit fundraising (for a non-profit) unless you sell as an individual or organizational e-bay member via e-bay's 'missionfish' (by which a non-profit is already a member of). Otherwise, the only way for a non-profit to sell/auction with an ebay account used by an organization or an individual, requires that the organization's name be indicated. It is also required that the directors' signed permission and the non-profit's 501 (c) (3) ID# be scanned and presented on the actual auction listing.

An example of a way to avoid all this would be to give the de-accessioned item to someone who is not affiliated with the museum (and provide documentation that no monies, etc., were exchanged) and trust that they will sell it (on ebay or other means) without affiliating it with the name of the museum. And then trust that they donate the proceeds to the museum and that they collected and will pay sales tax from the sale of the item (if applicable).

Now this would be your public relation's or even tax nightmare -if it became known that a de-accessed object was sold in such a round-about manner.

Museums bid and win auctions on ebay quite often. Personally I've never come across an item being auctioned by or on behalf of a museum, but I have seen museums bid on and win auctions.

The reason for de-accessioning an item should be a valid reason to begin with and therefore one that you can refer to in an auction listing. And it is important to indicate that the proceeds from the auction are earmarked for a specific (or general) purpose...organizational costs, or for a particular program/project.

'Monetary valuing' is inconsequential when auctioning an item for fundraising. What I was referring to was the re-sale of an artifact - that is different. I believe that it would be appropriate to have a stipulation for the auction winner that, if the item were to be re-sold, the museum name should in no manner be referred to in a subsequent transaction (mainly, to not give the impression that there would be any proceeds from such a sale that would again, benefit the museum if there is indeed, none).

I don't believe that there is 'trade-off' along the lines for which you are thinking, and quite the adverse when you consider your accounts receivable, sales taxes, and the monetary proceeds as a donation, etc. Doing things on the sly are just that and will always have the potential of coming back to haunt you.

Being honest and clear about the reasons for de-accessing an object and the proceeds in affiliation with your museum will do more good than harm. Personally, if I donated something to a museum (what if I myself had gotten for free or at little cost?) and they didn't need it - I would be more than thrilled if it got big bucks in an auction and even more thrilled that the proceeds were more of a contribution than a useless, or even worthless item.

Pam