Stacey,

Regarding your statement about not having the auction item on ebay affiliated with your institution...

Would you think that, for the party that acquires the de-accessioned item, there should be a written stipulation that the item not be referred to etc., as having once belonged to the museum - particularly if the item may be sold (in case the new owner wanting to sell it on ebay)? Can/should we do this?

Though not often - a few times I have seen artifacts for sale at flea markets and antique shops that have inventory #'s and/or even an 'original' tag with a museum's name on it. Having once been a part of a museum's collection -seemingly may add to the value of the item.

During my volunteer work with a local historical society museum...we've been asked, on occasion if any of the books we sell during our annual used book sale fundraiser -are from the museum's collection. Our response is always that the books have been donated for our fundraiser, but occasionally there may be books from the museum collection or reference library that has been replaced by a better copy.

We have also added a few books to the museum collection or reference library that had been donated for the fundraiser. And some books that were donated, if not sold during the booksale - I intend to list some of these on ebay. So after reading what you wrote - reminds me to make sure that I list these books as anonymous donations for the fundraiser and not the museum's collection, etc. I'd want to make sure there was no confusion what so ever.

Interesting issue.    Pam