It is entirely possible that if your box is covered in something it is
probably not vinyl, but there is nothing you can do. Late 1950s Barbie
dolls have a similar problem. The PVC they're made from has an inherent
vice that causes it to break down and the surface becomes sticky.

Here's a reference:
http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Barbies-Health-Hazard.htm

I wouldn't let my kids near the thing until I had it tested. A
professional conservator can test your box. You can find a conservator by
contacting the American Association for Conservation (AIC)
http://aic.stanford.edu/

Diane Gutenkauf

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:44:52 -0400, Jeremy T. Chrabascz
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My father-in-law has his Walt Disney/Davy Crockett toy box with lid from
>when he was a child.  They would like to use it for our daughter.
>
>The problem is that the outside of it is fairly sticky, dirty and whatever
>paint was originally used appears tacky.  My mother-in-law tested a
section
>using goo-gone (or one of those brands) and, unfortunately, it began to
>take off and/or bleed the original paint.
>
>I would like to help them treat it and be able to use it without
>compromising its physical or historical integrity.  The box appears to be
>tinned sheet metal covered in a yellowish vinyl (or other synthetic
>material).
>
>Thoughts?  Suggestions?  And no, small amounts of plain old water with
mild
>detergent didn't cut-it either.  Thanks in advance for your time and
>consideration.

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-
faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by
sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The
body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).