Jennifer,

I'm going to take a risk and jump in here.

I agree with Mark for the most part, but I feel that preservation and public access are equally weighted.  It is the institution's responsibility to balance them, yet in real life nothing is truly balanced.  Every object is composed of matter and has a limited lifetime.  Institutions should manage their objects in such a way that they are extending that lifetime for as long as humanly possible, and at the same time making the best use of their objects during their lifetime.  Keeping an object locked away in a dark environmentally controlled vault, where no one can see it, is not much different than the object no longer existing.  Each institution has to determine how to best carry this out but it should be based on object needs, mission, and professionalism, not on politics, power, or favors.

Alan

Alan K. Lester, Senior Curator

The Mary Baker Eddy Library for the Betterment of Humanity

617.450.7125