Please Touch Museum has both offsite and onsite Teacher Training
workshops.  We find them to be more marketable now that we are able to
provide continuing education credits for attending the training.  In PA,
the Department of Public Welfare certifies training for Early Childhood
Professionals, and Dept. of Ed certifies for Head Start and School
Teachers.  I understand it varies state to state.  Depending on your
institution and topics, you may be able to work with a Community College
to give course credit as well.

We use to have more funding and offered our workshops free to the
educators, but now we have begun charge a fee either to the participants
of to the schools.

We also use to do an annual conference at a hotel where we had over 150
participants that we charged about $10 for.  However, eventually the
cost for renting space out weighed the financial gain and foundational
support, so we had to stop.

Besides credits, I think teachers are looking for activities to
incorporate in to their curriculum.  If you can get you hands on your
state education curriculum standards then you can show a match.  You may
also want to provide some pre and post visit materials and a "how to do
a class trip" packet if you think they may visit.

After learning that the adult attention span is about 20 minutes, we
found that if we break down the instruction into 20 minute intervals,
and either switch speakers, or activity (e.g. power point, handling
artifacts, discussing in small groups, taking a tour...) then the
participants find the training more enjoyable.

In general, I think it is good to provide refreshments, and somehow work
in to each workshop you institutional flavor.  For example, we are a
children's museum centered on play, if it is a small group, we often
open by having people say who they are, where they are from, and mention
positive memory from their childhood.

Anne Draghi Svonavec, MSW, LSW

Community Programs Manager

Please Touch Museum