EBay is great for collectible books.

If you're planning to sell regular books donated for fundraisers, you might
want to consider listing them on Amazon's "Marketplace." They take a higher
percentage of the sale, but they give you a shipping allowance and handle
ALL of the financial stuff - you can't get burned. When I left a former
life/career I had accumulated a huge library related to my former field.
After having a long chat with myself I realized that there was no way I'd
return to that field within 5 years - and the library would be obsolete by
then. So, I began listing the books on Amazon.a stack every evening. I was
absolutely amazed by the prices that some of these soon-to-be-useless
volumes commanded. I sold almost 500 volumes in less than 3 months, and made
over $13,000.00!

On the downside, if you've got boxes full of romances or former top 10
novels you'll find the prices on Amazon too low to compete with the "Power
Sellers." But, I'm guessing that you'll find enough "found money" in your
donations to make the effort worthwhile.

Actually, listing these books on Amazon would be a good job for a volunteer.
You type in the ISBN #, and choose a price and condition.these skills are
easily taught.and click OK. (There might be one or two more fields to fill
in, but you get the picture.) When the books sells, you get an email telling
you to ship the book. If you go to the Amazon Marketplace site, there is a
tool for you to print the packing slip and label. It's EXTREMELY easy. You
stick the packing slip in with the book, tape the label to the outside of
the package and mail it media or book rate. (One tip - I always spring for
delivery confirmation - I had a couple of people try to scam me, saying that
they didn't get the book. The delivery confirmation prevents that.)

Good luck!

Becky Fitzgerald

Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at