I am with a small historic preservation organization in New York City. Recently my education committee brought up the idea of having a teacher's workshop in teaching historic preservation. The committee sees a workshop as a way to involve teachers more in our formal education program as well as a way to provide teachers the tools to teach about historic preservation.

So, any advice from those of you who have organized teacher workshops, especially in New York City, would be appreciated.

More specifically, I am wondering:

Does an organization need to have any special credentials to do this? We do have a charter by the New York State Department of Education. We are not a vendor for New York City schools.

Do most organizations offer credit for thier workshops, or not? Does not offering credit lower the numbers of teachers who get involved?

What fee do you normally charge?

What types of materials are most teachers looking to bring home with them from workshops?

Where do your participants come from? Advertising? Previous relationship through formal education program?

Please feel free to offer advice on anything I haven't brought up. I am rather new to this and would like to hear from those a bit more seasoned.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Sheryl Woodruff

Director of Operations, The Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation