From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rebecca Fitzgerald
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 6:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Isaac Burns' carriages/automobile

Hi Everyone!

I’m searching for a needle in a haystack and would appreciate any help you can provide. I’ve just received the donation of possessions of a prominent 19th century citizen of Havre de Grace, Maryland. Jonathan Isaac Burns (known as Isaac Burns) was a carriage maker who also built a very early automobile. The donor (a descendant) remembers seeing one of the Burns carriages in the stable of the Governor’s Palace in Williamsburg, VA during the 1970’s, so we know that at least one still exists. I do not have storage or exhibit space for a carriage, but would love to have a photo of one of the carriages. I would also like to know the location of any existing carriages. And of course, I’d really appreciate a photo of the automobile he built.

Mr. Burns was also noted for developing the manufacture of a specific kind of decorative concrete building block that was used extensively in Havre de Grace. I have a photo of the block factory and can find examples of the block in extant houses. I do not have a photo of the machine that he invented to produce the blocks.

Havre de Grace, MD has suffered many, many floods over the years. Between high water that took out the city hall (and major storage area for archives) and a real lack of historical interest for many years, it’s fairly difficult to gather these wonderful stories. But, once in a while a family steps forward to donate.

If any of you have any leads on Isaac Burns or his carriages, automobile or block making machinery, please let me know off list. I will be eternally grateful!

Becky Fitzgerald

Executive Director

Susquehanna Museum