Traditionally, the CCC Museum was open to the public every day from Memorial Day until Labor Day, as is the State forest/park unit where it is located. We also used to stay open on weekends through Columbus Day.

This past year we only had volunteers available to have the museum open on weekends, and will close for the season after today (we are open by chance/appointment throughout the year).

I regret (no visitors) that this happened  -we used to have a great sign to put out by the road that read 'Historical Museum open 12-4'. Someone decided not to use it any longer. I actually saw it, leaning against a shed out down past the maintenance building in the forest, later in the day when I had gone out for a walk.

For now, there is a nice sign for the museum out by the road - a small 'open' sign below, and we put the 'open' flag out. Since we have free admission, we should have a sign that says so!

In years past, we've had a picnic or public program on Labor Day with an ad in the local paper. Recognizing the work of the C's on Labor Day has always been important to do.

If there had been other volunteers for today, I would have ordered Smoky Bear and Woodsy Owl character costumes and we could have stood out by the road and waved at cars passing by.

Any museum that is open on a holiday should make sure there is additional advertising, signage, a public program - anything extra to the usual.

In the case of the CCC Museum, it has been unfortunate that we no longer have seasonal interpretive guides to do this work, nor are the elderly CCC Alumni volunteers able to.

Currently, I am doing everything I can on a volunteer basis and some paid work on specific projects. This museum will probably have to close within the next couple years unless we can adequately address all the issues (and everything is an issue right now).

Pam