From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Pamela Silvestri
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 3:49 PM
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Cement floor, moisture, odor and ventilation problems/issues

Looking for advice on short-term and long term solutions:

The museum I work in has problems throughout, but I need to deal with this one ASAP:

30'x15' room (containing display cases and exhibits, photographs, flags and other textiles, paper documents, etc) with a cement floor. There are several windows (no screens) and a doorway that leads to a much larger main room, and is nearby the entrance door (which I can open, but no screen door).

The doorway is the only source of ventilation. There is a ceiling vent -installed w/the HVAC system (heat only) 5 years ago.

Despite several days of no rain/low humidity and the use of a dehumidifier, the moisture continues. Originally there were wooden floors in the building, about a foot above the foundation. The wood floor was removed and the cement was poured about 40 years ago.

About a decade ago, prisoners from a local prison had painted the floor. I washed the floor with a little water and bleach - five years ago and the paint came right up.

Cleaning the floor is to no avail if I can't control the moisture. Is there a product I can use on the floor that could serve as a moisture barrier?

I have a much better dehumidifier at home that I can exchange with the one in the museum. The one I have can cover a larger area and has a hose attachment -so I can drain the water to the outside (away from the building, of course). But so far the use of the dehumidifier has just been a waste of electricity.

When I was in the building last Sunday, I borrowed the fan from the forester's office, which did nothing. All I can think to do for now is to clean and protect the floor, bring in the other dehumidifier and install an exhaust fan. Could you suggest any other solutions to this problem?

I did speak with a couple of State Parks supervisors a while back about the flooring (if we are able to renovate the building some day) and they would like to install a wood floor over the cement with foam. I am totally against this since the foam can retain moisture and will eventually ruin the floor. I've started to look into using a 'sweeper system' for installing the wooden floor (the cement floor would still need to be treated - though I would prefer that it be removed). Your thoughts?

Needless to say the 'locker room' odor is nauseating, but I am most concerned about the collections. It is possible, that we could remove one of the walls that leads into the main area of the museum...or put in a door and close the room off further? The dehumidifier would work better.

Though I'd rather not have the entrance door open, especially without a screen door, I have no choice right now. On occasion I have to chase out squirrels, chipmunks, barn swallows -doesn't bother me, but has startled visitors.

Thanks and I look forward to your advice/suggestions. Pam

Pamela Silvestri, Museum Assistant
Northeast States Civilian Conservation Corps Museum
Shenipsit State Forest
166 Chestnut Hill Road
Stafford Springs, Connecticut 06076
(860) 684-3430