Hello-

As at least one other poster has noted, GuideStar can be a very useful
source for assessing the status of a variety of not-for-profit organizations
(not just museum).   They're located at www.guidestar.org
<www.guidestar.org> .  However, you must register to access data, and
without becoming a "select" or "premium" member, the info you can access is
limited.  I use it to review IRS Form 990s (one way of assessing an
organization's viability).  I also visit the Secretary of State's web site
for the state the organization is located in.  Many sites have data bases in
which you can search for the organization to confirm incorporation, charter,
by-laws, etc. (this is done on a state by state basis).  And of course,
contacting the IRS either by phone or via web at www.irs.gov <www.irs.gov>
can also provide you with some information.  If you click to their "Search
for Charities" you can plug in an organization's name and determine if its
recognized as a tax exempt entity by the IRS.  The site also has "States
Link" that will link you to official state web sites.  From there you can
follow links to Secretary of State pages/sites.

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to contact me offline if you like.  I use
the Internet regularly to assess viability of various kinds of museums.

Sarah J. Sessions
National Museum of the United States Air Force