As a region-wide disaster, it may be a while before we hear anything significant from our colleagues down south.  They will all have to deal with their personal disasters first, probably, before they can get to their institutions.  While I would love to go down and help with disaster recovery, it is not possible for me to do so.  However, if we could convince the feds to spring loose some IMLS funds to help in the recovery, would be great.  While there will be general federal disaster assistance, it is likely to be available to everyone.  IMLS money could be used specifically for cultural institutions.  As anyone who has written a disaster plan knows, recovery is monstrously expensive.

And again, it points out the need for all of us to take two tacks in our disaster plan:  one when the disaster is limited to our own institutions (like a fire), and the second when there is an area-wide disaster, like Katrina.  I think you have to approach the whole things differently, because the person-power situation will be totally different.

Claudia

Claudia J. Nicholson

Executive Director

North Star Museum of Boy Scouting and Girl Scouting

651-739-8857

www.nssm.org