An excellent ID resource are catalogs (Sears&Roebucks, Wards) from that time period. I grab copies, when I come across them.

According to my mother, there was always one in the outhouse but it was not marked, 'Reading Copy Only'!

I have a couple from the late 19th that are reprints and those are much easier to find. I highly recommended the catalogs since you can glean useful information from the ads and, they come in handy for identifying all sorts of objects. Often, I like to cross-reference with topical identification guides, like for ceramics only - especially those geared for the antiques market.

Pam