Holly,

I can truly sympathize with your experiences and many of us have had these frustrations and still do (mememememe). I was ready to give up on museum work after trying to secure a full-time permanent position for 8 years now (though I first applied for a museum job when I was 17, back in 1979). Just last month, after careful consideration, I decided that not only is museum work a true passion, but I am good at what I do, I have dedicated an tremendous amount of time and $$$$, and can't afford to change careers at this point either.

I'm afraid you opened a can of worms with me! But anyhoo, I totally disagree about there not being any jobs right now. I have had several rejections this year alone -ok, I didn't get the jobs but there are jobs. And we can anticipate even more with the older baby boomers being on the brink of retirement. For some positions I have applied for, I am at least retained on a candidates list so there's still some hope for me.

I have competed against candidates who have even failed required exams. I lost out on one of these jobs to someone who never catalogued an object before whereas I have done 10's of thousands! Grantwriting - I have it. Public programs, I'm there. And I could go on about the well-rounded experience that I have.

So what's the problem? And I have gone over this a million times but recently I have been able to truly narrow down the issues (mostly, that which are my personal doings or not doings) and have plans to deal with these issues.

So here's a few things that I came up with, and they are based on my personal experience (with examples):

*Well connected: How else can somebody who has an unrelated Bachelor's degree and no museum experience - who had flunked an exam, etc., still get a $35k/year museum job with full bennies? Beating out 3 other candidates who had all the qualifications and more! I have scored high (usually upper 90's to 100% on these exams).

This is so important obviously! And just about everything else I am trying to do to better my situation is directly or indirectly related to this.

*Do what is required, and DO NOT go beyond and above that!!!:  I am so glad I finally figured this one out and am still working on putting it into 'action'!

While I was still an undergrad, I was not offered work that others had been. So I volunteered for a few weeks and busted my behind. I got the paid work. I had suspected that I wasn't initially hired because I was a 'non-traditional' student, being at the ripe old age of 31 and a single mother.

When, after several months I found out I was being paid less than everyone else and asked for a raise, the owner of the company told me that the only reason she hired me to begin with was because I worked so hard. She also told me that the reason she didn't initially hire me was because I was different. Her reasoning behind this was that she needed retain a camaraderie for her crew.

It was hard, but paid off for me - I got the experience I wanted (and a small raise though I was required to take on more responsibility), but I had to tolerate being 'different'.

I carried this 'above and beyond' work ethic into my next job. For 3 1/2 years I worked like this. I again found that the only reason why I got the work (and subsequent grants, contract work and opportunities) was because of my hard work. Problem was, that other people were getting the same (pay, opportunities, etc) and didn't have to do nearly as much.

Again, I made the best of it and wouldn't trade the experience for the world except that:

Doing the 'extra' work can be stressful and start to affect you and others. Stay within what is 'required' of you and don't do the cleaning, refinishing furniture, grantwriting, etc., if it isn't what you and others are doing or expected to do.

Another reason why this is 'bad' is because it sets you apart from others as a team player. I have had a few co-workers become hostile with me, for one thing. And why does that happen? Because you are working your butt off, and they do not want to! It is far easier for them to make your life difficult for you, then it is for them to actually do the work! In their eyes, you are making them look bad, etc so they are going to make it their goal to do the same to you.

I know it sounds ridiculous but it is true. However, this should not happen in a professional workplace where you are working among your peers. In these cases, I was not working in a place with high or even good professional standards for someone like me who was not a permanent, full-time employee ('at will', temporary and/or working on contracts/grants). It is ok to work hard and over-extend yourself, etc., but wait until you are a full-time, permanent employee.

Interviewing, skills and experience:  I am so bad at interviews because I have 'stage fright' sooooo bad. I can make a good impression otherwise, but as soon as I open my mouth -OMG! I stutter, stammer and the lisp that I got rid of years ago reappears.

Telephone interviews are the worst (I revert to my Massachusetts accent when I'm nervous). I even had an interviewer (telephone, just a few months ago) ask me how I would be expected to talk on the phone with the general public if I can't get through an interview! And trying to explain that I have spoken in front of large audiences and I had extensive experience communicating via the telephone....

Since most of the jobs I have gotten were for jobs I didn't have to interview for, it is important for me to connect with people who are familiar with my work, etc. But these jobs aren't usually full-time, permanent positions and that is what I am looking for.

Back when I 1st started college, I enrolled in a theater course in order to overcome my shyness and stage fright. I loved it and went on to act in several other community theater productions, including one show where over 3,000 people showed up and another which was an award-winner ('Best production' and 4 other awards in a community theater competition).

I never got a part in a play from an audition. All the plays I acted in were by invitation only (either I got the part outright, or I was invited to read). So much like the jobs I've gotten.

But this can only get me so far and I need to get all my cards in place. I am working on updating my skills (I've been out of the loop) and everything else. Now that I am over 40, I can also play the discrimination card (no sah!! I don't think I would do that, but if it's blatant, I would consider it).

If I am given the chance, I am a real hard-worker and have a lot of skills to offer. Another thing I'm working on is my resume. Not to toot my own horn but I have accomplished a lot and I am starting to have concerns that potential employers may simply not believe I've done what I've done. There are overlaps in the dates of my employment because I have worked 2, 3 even 4 jobs and projects at the same time, etc. And there are other areas where I should embellish my accomplishments and skills.

I am learning to cater my CV to positions I am applying for. If I apply for a job that doesn't require grantwriting - I'm thinking of leaving those off and rather I should use the room to further explain the experience and skills I have that they are looking for.

OK I have gone on way too long here and I could continue. It helps me though to reiterate these issues and perhaps someone else can find them to be helpful!

If anyone is looking to further their education, etc., I will never discourage one from doing so regardless of my own personal experiences, etc. I have looked into the public history programs at Trinity College and the U of Nevada and am hoping to get a full-time job with some educational benefits so that I can further my education. If you have the opportunity, etc., go for it!

All my best,
Pam