Pardon my ignorance on the subject as I am rather new to registration and am learning a great deal from the discussions here - but I have always been of the understanding that inkjet print was not permanent and faded with age.  I understood that laser print was longer lasting.  Has the technology by-passed my meager knowledge yet again?  I work with collections in a tiny all-volunteer start-up organization who is just beginning the process of organizing and cataloguing its collections.  I am very interested in starting the process off on the right foot and am considering print vs hand labeling, however need procedures that is easily understood by the volunteers that will continue the process.  Since not all the volunteers are willing to use a computer at all, I believe barcoding will not be an option here.  I can see how barcoding, however, is beneficial recording inventory and of location changes.

Candice Brashears
Wallingford Historic Preservation Trust

In a message dated 8/22/2005 12:02:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Date:    Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:14:19 -0700
From:    "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Barcode Labelling: an observation

I don't know if there is anyone else on here who has worked with
barcoded objects, but I did at the Museum of The American Indian. The
best feature about them was the ease of changing locations with the
barcode reader (object and shelf both being barcoded - beep beep -
done).  I guess the reason i am responding is that I don't see what the
point of barcoding is if they are only in the folders and not with the
object.

Also, all of our barcodes were on tags with the objects, but not
attached.  (though attaching with strings could work very well for many
objects) The tags were printed but also I am sure could have been done
with labels stuck onto tags (more easily printable with inkjets and less
conservation issues with the objects). Gaylord also has printable acid
free tags that I have used quite a bit with a report program so the
information is pulled straight from the database. Something like this
could be very useful. The size shouldn't be an issue as barcodes don't
have to be as big as the retail ones, they are read in only one
direction, so the height should be adjustable when printing. If the
barcode is scratched or becomes unreadable you should simply be able to
print another one......................
Elizabeth Walton