Hate to belabor this all --

We have had more than 40 applications for a Collections Assistant position and 5 applications for internships. And that's before I checked the mail, email, and fax today. It is clear there are many very qualified and interested people for museum jobs. The heartbreak for me is that at some point I will have to write letters of regret to the energetic folks who sent in applications to work at our institution. Having been in your shoes more than once, I applaude you.

To all of you looking for work in the museum field - don't quit. I know the pay is often lower than our skills and passion deserve. (I wish we were offering more to the position we are offering.) I've been working in museums for more than 16 years and just can't seem to let go. It is about the passion for what we do and the satisfaction that comes from the work we do.  I know, we all have to eat, but that's probably why most of us have second jobs or "hobby" jobs.

It's clear there is sympathy for/among us. Pay attention to local and national politics. Be heard. Make choices you can live with.

And many thanks to all of you who responded to our call for applications.

Sharon Duane Koomler
Director of the Museum
Shaker Museum and Library
Old Chatham, NY