Kaia,

Adaptability is important too. It is important to gain experience from various museums, and levels of work. Not all opportunities are necessarily going to be costly, so carefully consider the feasibility on a case by case basis.

Despite having several years of museum experience, I am considering an unpaid internship in order to enhance my experience and better my chance for employment.

Though I've worked for a few museums, they were relatively young organizations and lacked some of the technology, resources, etc., that limited my opportunities to learn. The internship I'm looking at is at a state of the art museum.

I am still in the process of determining if the internship is doable for me. I am willing to make the sacrifice, because of the potential benefits. For this internship, I would have to drive 70 miles (RT) 2 days a week. The internship is 12 hours a week for 6 months. The main issue for me is the condition of my car.

Since it takes awhile to process the internship application, I have time to work on the transportation issue.

It did help me ALOT to work at different museums. The first position I held for 3 1/2 years was tremendous, and I learned more than I ever expected I would. It was great to apply my experience in my next museum job and to keep building upon that.

The more you do, the more opportunities, etc you will have so my advice is to not limit yourself to one degree or to not take advantage of volunteer and internship possibilities. In retrospect, some of the volunteer time I spent was a REAL sacrifice...but this is how I learned to determine the feasibility.

Pam