There are master images and there are master images. In the proper
hands, a RAW image has, by far, the most flexibility for color
correction, shadow and highlight adjustment, and re-sizing. Once
these adjustments are made, the "master" image, can be saved as a
TIFF file in whatever standard pixel dimensions set forth by the
standards. RAW isn't "point and shoot," and it does require some post-
processing, but the resulting TIFF image will be the highest quality
possible if the person doing the post-processing knows what he/she is
doing.

As for  cameras, don't overlook the Nikon D-70, Nikon's counterpart
for the Canon Digital Rebel. I use one regularly and find it to be a
wonderful camera with very good lenses available.

Wade

--
Wade Lawrence, Director
Glensheen, the historic Congdon estate