From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Pamela Silvestri
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] public history grad program

Good points you make. But, there are so many babyboomers that even if
3/4 stay on working, enough jobs are going to be able to open up. At the
same time there are new positions being created. I am a babyboomer btw,
though at the tail end.

I should have pointed out that most of the museum jobs I was referring
to and have applied to are at the state and federal level. My immediate
supervisor is set to retire in 2 years (she'll be 54). A friend of my
who worked at a state university (not a museum job) was offered a
'golden handshake' and couldn't resist. She was 45 and started working
there when she was 19.

At 80% of her salary and full bennies! - no need to look for other work
or plenty opportunity to start a new career. So not everyone is going to
have to depend on SS benefits, though many of us still will.

Everyday, I am online looking for museum work. I check about 10
different websites daily. There ARE a lot of museum jobs. The 'new
museology', a direct result of the phenomena of post-nationalism, is
truly amazing. We are at, or close to the 'hey-day' for museums.
Maintaining interest with the younger generation is vital, and I think
all of us are doing a great job with this. Renewed patriotism in more
recent times has been a great boost.

For a book pertaining to this subject I highly recommend: Zulaika,
Joseba. Guggenheim Bilbao Museoa. Museums, Architecture, and City
Renewal. Center for Basque Studies, University of Nevada, Reno 2003.

It is true that the low paying, volunteer, etc., work is soooo difficult
and hurts the SS earnings and quarters. I am VERY aware of SS earnings
as two years ago I had to go on SS Disability in order to have Medicare
to pay for eye surgery that I have had to put off for 15 years. I simply
could not put this off any longer.

As I mentioned before, many of the issues I have faced with securing
employment in a museum have been my own doing (or not doing). Being out
of the workforce for 2 years has hurt too. It kills me when I see people
who are applying for jobs that I am trying to get, that already have
good jobs and they are just simply doing lateral transfers, etc. But I
can't be bitter over that because they are certainly entitled, etc., and
have their own circumstances. But I did once find myself wanting to
scream, 'Wait, look over here, hello I am making nothing'.

Thanks to the internet, I can keep track of what's going on. For many of
these jobs I've applied for, I have gone onto the museum's website and
have found the names of the people who were hired for jobs I applied
for. Then I can do a search for their names and find out more
information. I do this to assist in my job search. So for one, the
person's name came up so many times in the search. Tons of newspaper
articles and clearly, this person had done a lot of wonderful work and
was well qualified.

I'm not looking to see whether the person is well-qualified to see if I
was considered fairly or not, but I'm comparing their background to mine
and I'm looking to see what else I would need to be competitive. All the
people I have found so far who are getting these jobs, are not
unemployed. And often I can find what job they left, and as far as I can
tell that they were doing related (non-museum) work, and are moving into
full-fledged museum work (was interesting to note). But they do have
related MA's and it looks like they may have had to accept other types
of related work (perhaps at the time they were looking for museum work,
there was nothing much available).

Whenever I can find what position they have held before, interestingly
enough I discovered that the jobs these people are leaving, are jobs
that I do not qualify for and they are high-profiling, good paying
positions. So I do think this is really curious. But also, this clearly
indicates that you have a better chance of getting a job if you already
have a (paying) job.

One of the last jobs I applied for was a museum at a state university. I
searched the internet and found all the 2004 salaries (from professors
to maintenance workers) for every employee at that university. I found
the salary for the person that held the position that I was applying
for.

Based on that (and in another search I determined that this person had
worked there for 8 years) I was able to figure a salary I could
negotiate for if I were offered the job. So I went up just a tad from
the starting salary for the position, but went lower than that of the
person vested 8 years. Once again, I never got to the point of salary
negotiations. I'll be ready though when the opportunity arises.

I was trying to stay 'calm' during my recent job searches but it hasn't
been easy to do so. Not only am I very anxious to get back to work in
general, but it looked like I wasn't going to be able to send my son to
college this year if I didn't get a job and quick. I'd have to say that
this broke my heart like never before. Of course I could foresee this
occurrence years earlier and tried to prevent the possibility, but to
have it become a realization was something I never felt before and
really can't put into words.

Without any of these jobs materializing,  I quickly got my motherly
instincts refocused and went right over to the college and calmly asked
for more financial aid for my son. Although I still have to pay a bit, I
managed an extra 10k! After the FA counselor made the offer, I broke
down and finally cried over all this.

Back to my point about my job search - I'm sure my anxiety and
desperation showed through during my interviews...I was sooo nervous.
People who are already in a job or otherwise not in a desperate
situation have a far better chance of getting these jobs. Often, they
don't have the stress to be out of work, may be going for a higher
salary, etc., and simply give a 2-week notice.

Now that I am calm and my son is entering college, I am focusing on what
I need to do to get a full-time, permanent museum job (not the
volunteer, small grant, possible seasonal funding which is down from
possible full-time to, 'maybe' 3k). I have a whole different perspective
now. If I have to volunteer and/or do an internship to update my skills,
I'll do it. Then I'll start applying for museum work again (and keep
trying to calm down already).

I know I am not the only one out there in this situation. And I will
certainly have to work beyond retirement age just to pay off my once
dinky student loan.

I have suffered through a lot. Five years of being a full-fledged
(waitressing,and working at a hospital too) shovel bum had left me with
everything from lumbar spinal stenosis to Lyme disease. I went several
years undiagnosed with the spine condition because not too many people
in their 30's get that. So now you know, Micki that I AM one of the
people you are referring to! I have experienced the occupational effects
from this work. But I'm all patched up and ready to go!

I have to disagree with you about doing volunteer work though. I have
faithfully volunteered for one museum for 10 years now. Every year - a
used book sale and X-Mas craft show fundraisers -I inventoried all their
Indian artifacts, among other projects.

Unfortunately, all volunteer work does is quite the opposite of what you
might think. It tells a potential employer that you are willing to work
for free (so why should they pay you 40k+ a year) and that you perhaps
aren't 'good' enough to do paid work.

If you are looking for museum work and want to volunteer your time, you
are far better off with a short-term internship, even if it's unpaid.
The reason for this is that potential employers know that an established
internship usually requires that the intern work under the supervision
of a professional with at least an MA.

In small, all-volunteer museums, you are less likely to work in a
state-of-the art, professional environment. There are exceptions, of
course and I have spent a lot of the last 10 years learning from a
Museum Director (and town historian) who has a Ph.D. She's in her 80's
and retired. I do make sure I properly use her title when I list her as
a reference.

I volunteer for my own personal benefit (something productive) and those
who benefit from my much needed work. So on one hand, I may express my
need to volunteer in order to maintain my skills but I it is not the way
to go for museum employment.

And being a research junkie, I have studied volunteerism while I was a
VISTA volunteer and when I worked on my social services degree. While I
was a VISTA volunteer -is where I learned about grant writing and many
other skills that I have been able to apply to museum work. People
volunteer for many reasons, but it does not aid in an effort to pursue
professional work. It did get me a nice barrister bookcase that the
museum no longer needed.

Now you see that perhaps the reason I can't get the 'right' job is
because I am seriously a total research junkie, maniac employee that
none of you out there in their right mind would consider hiring (no sah,
just kiddin' I'm not that bad) . But I am taking a leap of faith with
sharing my personal experiences here to get some points across, and I
would like to hope that my name hasn't ended up alongside the word
'Delete' on your keyboard! And besides, I know that many of you are also
really totally serious research junkies that are working like maniacs on
dozens of projects!

Pam

In a message dated 8/22/2005 9:12:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,