Hi Erin,

When we were deciding what to do with my mother's artwork, first we
photographed every piece and then properly packed and stored it until the  decisions
were made. I would have concerns with this artwork you write of, still  being
in the studio - if there's sunlight and/or other adverse conditions. The
artwork has probably deteriorated. I would make this a priority.

A legit art dealer should be consulted with for a number of reasons -to
locate and broker a deal with interested parties including an auction house; to
valuate the artwork and studio; or the dealer can purchase the estate artwork
in  it's entirety.

If this artist is a 'listed' artist, then auctioning off the collection
would be the way to go. A 'listed' artist's artwork is of that which has been
sold at auction previously. You can search the internet for 'listed artists', or
the books.

An art dealer can determine, if the artist is not 'listed' , the
'importance' of the artist/artwork and valuate the collection for auction (as  will the
auction house).

If the artwork has never come to auction before -an auction would be an
opportunity for this artist's work to become 'listed'.

Pam

In a message dated 8/22/2005 8:41:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,