I apolgize now because this help is not for a museum but I know that there are several people on this list that have some knowledge or experience with copyright issues.  I now work for an organization called Wise Women Gathering Place, which among other things, teaches teens how to develop healthy relationship skills.  One of our tools to do this is through a workbook called Discovery Dating that was developed by the founder of WWGP, Alice Skenandore.  Alice copyrighted Discovery Dating a while ago but she is always eager to share the info in the workbook with other people.  This has finally come back to bite her.

In April, WWGP got a visit from a woman from the CDC who was working on developing a workbook on Abstinence specially for Native American communities.  Since Wise Women is run by tribal members and is located on a WI reservation, the CDC woman stopped in and met with Alice, who sold her a copy of Discovery Dating.  The woman left after a few days and we never heard from her again.

In July, Alice went to a training session held by the CDC to go over the workbook developed by the woman who had visited WWGP previously.  Half way through the training, Alice was horrified to find her Discovery Dating workbook as part of the CDC's new workbook.  It had been renamed "the One Way Game" and was unbelievably word for word what was in the Discovery Dating workbook.  (I've seen it; it really is word for word.)  Alice has contacted her lawyer who immediately told her that she couldn't do anything about it and the he would be happy to write a nasty letter to the CDC but not expect any results.  Oh, and the "one way game" is also copyrighted.

Any suggestions?  Again I know that this is not museum related but any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please contact me off list at [log in to unmask]

Thanks,

Elizabeth Sauer Pries
Educator Advocate
Wise Women Gathering Place