Katie,
First, a belated thank you for your answer to my grant question earlier this week.  It helped a great deal.  We host an annual antebellum ball.  We charged $25 per person for a meal and dancing and made up the difference through a silent auction.  We worked with a local SCV group who had asked that we keep prices down because we have so many younger re-enactors who could not afford higher ticket prices.  For the silent auction, we went to businesses in our local community and beyond to ask for donations.  For example, Southwest Airlines, which is based in Dallas, donated two round-trip airfares which brought in several hundred dollars on silent auction.  You could also give a discount for those in costume.  We had about a 50-50 mix of costumed and non-costumed guests.  If you need more particulars, feel free to e-mail me.
Julie

Katie Anderson wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

We are planning a Heritage Ball as a fundraiser.  The 8th Regiment Band (mid-19th century) is providing music for free.  The local SCV is excited about participating.  I’m in a quandary about what to charge for tickets.  Cost per person including food, drinks, rental etc. is $38.75.  We can seat 200.  Our goal is to raise $20,000.  I plan on asking 20 old Rome families and businesses to “host” at $1000.  For that they receive 4 dinner tickets and a brief family history in the program.  This leaves 120 seats at $75.00.  This gets us to our goal.

Here’s the dilemma.  My dear friend from the band says most re-enactors would expect to and be willing to pay $50 per couple max.  I don’t want this to be an elitist event but $50 for a couple doesn’t break even much less raise funds!  We had planned on advertising the ball to regional re-enactors and inviting local re-enactors.  I don’t want to offend them with the high ticket price.  We really need them there to provide a sense of authenticity.  The band members will receive free tickets but I can’t give all re-enactors free tickets.  I can’t think of a way to have two ticket prices without it becoming uncomfortable.

Any sage advice?  If you’ve put on a ball before I’d love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Katie

Katie Anderson

Museum Director

Rome Area History Museum

305 Broad Street

Rome, GA 30161

706-235-8051

cell 678-908-7751

fax 706-235-6631

www.RomeHistoryMuseum.com

A new exhibit highlighting the efforts on the home front during WWII is now open at the Rome Area History Museum.  "World War II: The Home Front" contains photos and artifacts from the 1940s that tell the story of this transformational time.  A video containing clips of oral history interviews with local WWII veterans and civilians is on view in the exhibit.

As a partner of the Library of Congress Veterans History Project, we are coordinating an oral history project with World War II veterans and civilians in northwest Georgia.  It is vital that we preserve these stories.  Please contact the Museum to schedule interviews.

The oral history project and exhibit are supported in part by a grant from the Georgia Humanities Council.

--
Julie Holcomb, MLIS, CA
Director of the Pearce Collections Museum/

Phone: (903) 875-7438 ~ Fax: (903) 875-7593
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Internet: http://www.pearcecollections.us

"Men make their own history, but they do not make it just as they please; they do not make it under circumstances chosen by themselves, but under circumstances directly found, given, and transmitted from the past.  The tradition of all the dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living."
Karl Marx, The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte

"History does not refer merely, or even principally, to the past.  On the contrary, the great force of history comes from the fact that we carry it within us, are unconsciously controlled by it in many ways, and history is literally present in all that we do."
James Baldwin