From: Kimberly Nelson Hanser [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 4:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Upcoming National Law Enforcement Museum seeks artifacts/images/documents

I didn't see any rules suggesting that this type of posting is inappropriate.  I apologize in advance if it is.  -Kim

The National Law Enforcement Museum is scouring the country to obtain objects, documents, and law enforcement images that will tell the story of law enforcement from the 17th century to the present. Here's a sample of what we are looking for:

  • Uniforms, gear, equipment, communications tools, badges, vehicles, and weapons, particularly items involved in interesting events or that have historical significance (e.g., first examples, those that show changes in technology, or etc.)
  • Evidence from significant 19th and 20th century crimes-such as items belonging to notorious criminals (Bonnie and Clyde, Al Capone, etc.)
  • Pieces of evidence used for the first time or in significant cases utilizing forensic methodology (fingerprints, tread analysis, hair samples, type comparisons, etc.)
  • Items showing law enforcement in pop culture (contemporary and historical), including movie posters, comic books, pulp fiction, action figures, general memorabilia
  • Academy training manuals, textbooks, videos, and equipment demonstrating the breadth of instruction law enforcement officers receive
  • Objects or documents from notable law enforcement officers (e.g., Wyatt Earp, Teddy Roosevelt, Eliot Ness)
  • Objects, documents, and images that reflect the experiences of contemporary law enforcement officers
  • Law enforcement gazettes, newspapers, broadsides, unpublished memoirs, and photographs

A complete wish list can be found at http://nleomf.com/TheMuseum/MuseumArtifactsWishList.pdf.

Items accessioned into the NLEM's collection will receive the highest standards of care, and will enable the general public and generations to come to have a greater understanding of the law enforcement profession and its relationship with American society. All items accepted into the NLEM collection will be properly acknowledged and will be tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law.

Please feel free to share this with any potential donors you know of, or if you have something you would like to discuss, please don't hesitate to contact me via one of the methods listed below.  Donation and loan forms are available at http://nleomf.com/TheMuseum/donations.htm.

Thank you,

Kimberly Nelson Hanser

Exhibitions Coordinator

National Law Enforcement Museum

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund

P: 703.278.0791

F: 703.832.0483

If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, forwarding or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: