While in general your accountant/auditor is right, there are many
exceptions. Once a year type events sometimes are included in those
exceptions. Generally the IRS looks at a number of criteria for UBIT.
One is that 'it be regularly carried on'.  While there can be exceptions
(it is the IRS after all), an activity 'conducted no more often than
annually will be regarded by the IRS as not regularly carried on'.  So,
your activity may fit that definition.  There are other ways to deal
with this as well. Your institution can lump all it's potential UBIT
together, both income and expenses. There are some other rules regarding
production costs and loses. You might consider having an attorney with
an expertise in non-profit law give you a reading on this. They tend to
have more expertise in this stuff than many accountants and even
auditors.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.

Barry Pilson

-------