Hello All –

In the next 8 months we are planning to move our entire permanent collection from one off-site storage facility to another.  It is me and a small band of fearless volunteers who will be taking on the 35,000 objects.  Needless to say, I’m feeling a little outnumbered at the moment.  I’d like to propose to the Collections Committee that we put a hiatus on taking in new acquisitions, but wanted to know what other institutions have done under similar circumstances.

Did you write up a formal document about what would be taken under special circumstances? (We all know there will be SOMEthing unforeseen that has to be taken RIGHT NOW.)  Also, how did you handle asking potential donors to hang on to their treasures for another year(ish)?  Basically, if you’ve done it, let me know what you thought and how you handled it.

You can reply on or off the list.  Either way, thanks in advance!

Laura Lee

Collection Manager

Boulder History Museum