Since we are approaching summer here in the states I thought I would put out some interesting facts about hotdogs.

  1. “Hot Dogs” origins can be traced to German Immigrants in the 1800’s. They brought along not only the sausage but the dachshunds as well. The name “hot dog” began as a joke about those small thin dogs.
  2. The word “hot dog” began appearing in college magazines in the 1890’s. Students at Yale University began to refer to the wagons selling hot sausages in buns outside their dorms as “dog wagons”.
  3. Citizens bank park in Philadelphia sold 800,000 hot dogs last season, making it one of the top 40 Hot dog eating stadiums in the country. Which one was first you ask? Dodger stadium which sold 1,674,400
  4. Clint Eastwood’s “dirty Harry” Callahan once chided a fellow cop for breaking a cardinal rule of hot dog eating. Never, ever put ketchup on your hot dog.
  5. Wet condiments should be applied first, such as mustard and chili, followed by chunky condiments like relish, onions and sauerkraut, then put on the shredded cheese or spices like celery salt and pepper.
  6. Bruce Willis supposedly proposed to Demi Moore in a parking lot of Pink’s Hot Dogs in Hollywood.
  7. Keep a bottle of aspirin handy, if you’re digging into a dog. Nitrates found in hot dogs and cured meats such as bacon, sausages, and cold cuts have been known to trigger migraines.
  8. Klinger  of M*A*S*H orders sausage packing at Paco’s in Toledo, yes it is there right aside of the Mud Hens stadium(Klingers favorite team) I’ve eaten there

Sources: The National Hot Dog and sausage Council

              Frommer’s Los Angeles 2005

              The National headache Foundation

Well enjoy the summer…..Jim

I’ll take mine with spicy mustard, chili, onions , pickle, and American cheese