Are there any ethical or legal implications in informing a donor of how their gift had been disposed?  For example, if a donor called and asked about an object that they donated many years before and it turned out that it had been transferred to another museum because the object no longer fit our mission, can I tell the donor the museum's name? In trying to do the courteous thing am I opening up a can of worms?

Thanks for the input.

RB

Rachel M. Bradshaw
Registrar