MS208: Applying Numbers to Collection Objects: Materials and Methods of
Object Numbering
Instructor: Helen Alten
Dates: May 9 - June 3, 2005
Price: $350

A popular AAM workshop, now available on-line by Northern States
Conservation Center at www.museumclasses.org. Applying Numbers to
Collection Objects covers the materials and methods of Object Numbering.
Topics covered by the lecture include registration steps, handling objects,
labeling and marking overview, number placement and documentation, health
and safety concerns, tags and labels, transponders and barcodes, surface
marks, inks and paints and barrier coats. Each student receives a
collections labeling kit.

The course will last for four weeks and cover all the details needed to
label collections without harming them. This course will include handouts,
on-line literature, slide lectures, and student-teacher/group-teacher
dialog. The course is limited to 20 participants.

If you are interested in the course, please sign up at
www.museumclasses.org and pay for the course at
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html.  If you have trouble with
either, please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

Course Goals:
To be able to determine what pen, ink, barrier coat, or tag is appropriate
for each object and storage or display situation.

Class Outline
1.      Introduction
2.      Basic Concepts
3.      Associating Numbers and Objects
4.      Applying Numbers to Objects: Barrier Coats and Direct Surface Marking
5.      Tools of Numbering
6.      Recommended Numbering Procedures for Specific Objects
7.      Conclusion

The course format is self-paced through 7 sections. The instructor will be
available at predetermined intervals throughout the course. Students will
be working individually and interact through forums and scheduled on-line
chats. Materials include web versions of instructor Helen Alten's
Powerpoint lectures, reading materials, lecture notes, and a collections
labeling kit with sample materials. Supporting resources include message
forums, weekly online chats, email support, projects, quizzes, and links to
relevant websites.

Here are some of the comments from last year’s students:

“Things I liked about the class: 1-Reading at my convenience, 2-the forum
because we could post questions, 3-the chat because it was an immediate
discussion, 4-the thoroughness of the text and readings.” - Student in MS208

“What I liked were the prodigious “handouts” that I printed off the net,
the illustrations and slides (although I’d like to see the herringbone
stitch in the text instead of needing to find an embroidery book), and the
fact that I could read and view on my own schedule…. All in all, I learned
more than I thought I would.  I and my colleagues are eager to have the
“handouts” in a binder for immediate and future reference.” - Student in MS208