Dear List Serve Readers:

The High Point Museum owns a two-room log structure that was struck by lightning in December 2004.  The roof, upper floor and most of the content were burned in the fire.  Our building, the Hoggatt House, is said to have been built in 1754.  It was moved to its current site in 1973.  Unfortunately when it was restored little or no documentation was recorded as to the changes and reasons behind them. The changes we do now about come from studying the few “before” and “in construction” photos.  We know from photos that the interior once had paneling but do not know if it was original to the structure.

We have recorded the burn depths of the logs.  Charring has occurred on the interior logs with depths varying up to 1”.  A few logs will need to be replaced.

We are making preparations to restore the structure but find we are lacking certain expertise.

If anyone can give us the names and contact information including phone numbers, addresses and email addresses if available for people who can help in those areas by this Friday, April 15, we’d really appreciate it.

We thank you for your input and concern.

Jennifer Burns
Curator of Collections
High Point Museum
1859 E. Lexington Ave.