Dear List Serve Readers:

The High Point Museum owns a two-room log structure that was struck by
lightning in December 2004.  The roof, upper floor and most of the
content were burned in the fire.  Our building, the Hoggatt House, is
said to have been built in 1754.  It was moved to its current site in
1973.  Unfortunately when it was restored little or no documentation was
recorded as to the changes and reasons behind them. The changes we do
now about come from studying the few "before" and "in construction"
photos.  We know from photos that the interior once had paneling but do
not know if it was original to the structure.

We have recorded the burn depths of the logs.  Charring has occurred on
the interior logs with depths varying up to 1".  A few logs will need to
be replaced.

We are making preparations to restore the structure but find we are
lacking certain expertise.
1)	We have been searching for individuals who may have had previous
experience with restoration of log structures, particularly those who
have been damaged from fire.  We need advice as to how to best "clean"
the various logs... scraping, washing, etc.  We realize it may be a
combination thereof.
2)	We are interested in locating people with expertise in interior
finishes for NC 18th century log buildings.
3)	The chinking material, not original to the structure, but a
mixture of cement, has discolored in certain areas, do to the fire.
Some of it will need restoration, other may need total replacement.  We
would like to speak to someone who might have experience in this area.

If anyone can give us the names and contact information including phone
numbers, addresses and email addresses if available for people who can
help in those areas by this Friday, April 15, we'd really appreciate it.

We thank you for your input and concern.

Jennifer Burns
Curator of Collections
High Point Museum
1859 E. Lexington Ave.