At a museum/historic site where I worked previously, we had an excellent
volunteer program and did several things at our annual volunteer
appreciation event.  We gave out personalized certificates to each
volunteer complete with the number of hours they had contributed in that
year.  Those who contributed the greatest number of hours that year (the
top ten or so) got very nice gifts.  Sometimes these were huge gift
baskets full of goodies, or gift certificates to local restaurants, even
theater tickets to see a play or show.  The volunteers came to expect
these kinds of rewards and even competed with each other through the
year to make sure they were putting in enough hours to receive a special
gift! Anyway, we also had food and refreshments, and a thank you speech
from the director, of course. Then our volunteer coordinator always had
games that everyone could participate in, with themes that tied into the
historic site.  Even if a few people thought this was silly, most people
seemed to really enjoy it.  Of course, there were prizes for the
winners.  The last year I was there, we came across an idea for little
baggies of trinkets, each of which had a meaning that related to how
much the museum appreciated the contributions of volunteers.  There was
a piece of paper inside each bag that explained the meaning of each
item.  For example, each bag had a lifesaver (volunteers are real
"lifesavers" and the museum couldn't survive without them), and a penny
(a penny for your thoughts - the museum values the comments and feedback
of its volunteers).  There were several other items, too, but of course
now I can't remember them.  We seemed to always receive a lot of
compliments afterward from those who attended, telling us how much they
enjoyed the event.

Cristin J. Waterbury

In a message dated 4/7/05 2:32:46 PM, [log in to unmask]