  From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Claudia J. Nicholson
  Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 9:07 AM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: One can get a job

  but it can be an awfully long haul.  For those of you old-timers on the
list, you may recall that I lost my job at the Minnesota Historical Society
in April of 2002, during the first of what has been ongoing budget crises.
For nearly 3 years, I've been looking for museum work limited by geography
and at last, I have scored a position.

  While I have waited what seems like an enormously long time to secure this
position, it is an excellent fit for me:  what I was looking for, close to
home, decent salary, and a congenial and smart bunch of people to work with.
I could ask for nothing more.

  During my museum "hiatus" I worked as a supermarket cashier (we still had
to eat), and I can tell you that I no longer believe museums (many) reach
all of the public.  Although I have not yet figured out what we would need
to do to reach a public that is unacquainted with the word "curator" and
doesn't know or value history (at least, in my world of history museums), I
hope to have that kind of epiphany soon.  Certainly my interim work will
inform my new work in ways I don't yet understand.

  To those of you who offered me support and advice, I thank you.  And to
the rest of you, especially the currently unemployed, I can offer you some
hope that there are still jobs out there.  You just need to be very patient
and persistent.

  So, now, who is gong to AAM?  I would love to meet some of you over drinks
one evening.

  Best wishes to all,

  Claudia

  Claudia J. Nicholson

  Executive Director

  North Star Museum of Boy Scouting and Girl Scouting

  651-739-8857

  www.nssm.org

Subscriber Information:
  The Museum-L FAQ file is located at