Trying to convert all volunteers could result in losing some potential
volunteers or members.  Some people want to give only their time, and some  people
only want to give money.  Some people may want to give both, but  aren't able
to give both for any number of reasons.  If you try to insist  that people
can't give your organization one without the other, you'll probably  have people
walking away instead of giving you their time and money.   That's how I am --
every place I've ever volunteered I've only been interested  in being a
volunteer, and having something to do.  About twenty years ago I  asked one museum
about becoming a volunteer, and I was giving a brochure about  becoming a
member.  My reaction was "you mean I have to pay this place, for  the chance to
volunteer?" and I walked off instead of volunteering.  I  refuse to pay for the
chance to donate my time.  If any money is going to  change hands, I'm going to
be on the receiving end -- not the person paying the  money.  I imagine that
many people feel the same way, about an organization  refusing to take only
time or only money.

Steve Shisler